Refrigerators preserve food for us and contribute to the safety of our food. A kitchen without a refrigerator is not easy to imagine these days.
I suggest and do follow the routine to clean my refrigerator often. Bacteria is one factor that a refrigerator does not regulate. The refrigerator should be cleaned so that bacterial growth is kept under check.
We will go through a brief checklist to keep your refrigerator clean.
- The first and the most important task before cleaning is to unplug the refrigerator from the power supply. Remove the small bulb inside the refrigerator for safety (to avoid damage).
- Defrost the refrigerator manually (if you own a freezerless fridge then skip to the next step) and let it process for an hour before proceeding with the next step.
- Empty the refrigerator by removing all the food items stored inside.
- Make sure you are keeping this unloaded food in a cool and clean place.
- After unloading the food items, remove the trays and other compartments.
- Clean these trays and compartments with hot water. Then dry the compartments and the tray.
- In the meanwhile clean the interior of your refrigerator.
- Most of my friends use vinegar, baking soda along with water to clean. You can try it if you are OK with it.
- I usually use a soft sponge or a cleaning cloth to do this.
- Thoroughly remove the dirt from the interior surface of the refrigerator. Ensure all the tight corners are washed off.
- When you are done cleaning use hot water this time and do the cleaning once again. Then use a dry cloth and wipe off any water from interiors.
- Now move on to clean the refrigerator door. Follow the same steps similar to cleaning the interiors.
- Next clean the exteriors with cold water and later use hot water to cleanse it. After cleaning the exteriors of the refrigerator use dry cloth to absorb the water.
- Many people forget to clean underneath the refrigerator, you make sure you don’t do the mistake.
You are almost done with the cleaning. Put the trays and compartments back into its original place. Fix the bulb also in its respective bulb holder.
Switch on the refrigerator and then store your food back in the fridge.
Cleaning a refrigerator isn’t a one time job, you have to follow this on a regular basis for a healthy food and lifestyle both for you and your family.